Oh I do have a charmed life. I could sew doll clothes 24 /7. I found this Easy Peazy Pleats pattern by Olive ann designs OAD82. The pattern lives up to it's name. This "pull on pull off" dress was a joy to make.
|Link to pattern:|
Here's a few pictures of my attempts:
Pattern review and tips: I am very pleased with this pattern and the dresses. It is a "pull on, pull off" style.
I made my first dress following the instructions and the dress fit well but I sew doll clothes for several little one's and I felt that the "pull on, pull off" feature would be a challenge for them so I made the next dress with a fully open back seam that closes with Velcro. On my next dress I cut the back along the fold line. Sewed the 2 pieces back together (1/4" seam) but stopped 2 inches from the top. I pressed the entire seam flat then top stitched along the opening. I then used an elastic loop and button to close the 2" opening. I preferred the non-Velcro option.
* Have your iron "hot and ready to go" in order to insure crisp pleats you need to press as you sew.
* Keep your measuring tools and fabric pen close by. Using these tools will help you have perfectly sized
pleats and a dress that fits properly.
* I used a fabric pen to number my pleats in the seam line area at the top of the front and back pieces. I am
old and sometimes get confused so this was helpful for me, but you may not need to do this. After making
3 dresses I figured I would not have to mark so I decided not to. So I ended ripping out several pleats
* If you decide to do the Velcro or 2" opening noted above you may want to place the back pattern piece
1/4" above the fabric fold line making the back piece larger to accommodate a wider fold over area for
Velcro and 2" opening options. Do this for the back facing piece also. Once you cut along the fold line finish the cut edges. .
* For a different look you may consider not adding the bottom band. I would recommend making the
front and back pieces 1 1/2 inch longer for the hem without impacting the length of the dress.